Meaning of IEC code
Importer Exporter Code, in short IEC is a unique 10 digit code number which is issued by Director General of Foreign Trade, Ministry of Commerce, Government of India to Indian Companies. In India IEC code is mandatory for every exporter and importer. No person or entity shall make any Import or Export without IEC Code Number.
Application for IEC Number
Application for obtaining IEC can be filed manually and submitting the form in the office of Regional Authority (RA) of DGFT in case of company and Head office. In case of others, falls in the Aayaat Niryaat Form – ANF2A and shall be accompanied by documents prescribed therein. In case of STPI/ EHTP/ BTP units, the Regional Offices of the DGFT having jurisdiction over the district in which the Registered/ Head Office of the STPI unit is located shall issue or amend the IECs.
Only one IEC would be issued against a single PAN number. In case there are more than one IEC are allotted to a proprietor; the same must be surrendered to the Regional Office for cancellation.
IEC Code Online Application Form
An application for e-IEC may be filed online in ANF 2A, in accordance with Para 2.08 of Handbook of Procedure. Payment of application fee can be paid online through net banking or credit/debit card. Documents/ details required to be uploaded/ submitted along with the application form are listed in the Application Form (ANF 2A).
When an e-IEC is approved by the competent authority, applicant is informed through e-mail which is computer generated and e-IEC is available on the DGFT website. By clicking on “Application Status” after having filled and submitted the requisite details in “Online IEC Application” webpage, applicant can view and take print of his e-IEC.
Necessary requirements for apply for IEC Code number:
- PAN Number
- Current Bank Account in a Bank who deals in Foreign Exchange
- Bankers Certificate
- Exporters / Importers shall file an application in ANF 2A format for grant of e-IEC.
- Application for IEC number which is known as “Aayaat Niryaat Form – AN2FA” can be submitted to the nearest regional authority of DGFT or can be submitted online at DGFT website: http://dgft.gov.in. An amount of Rs 1000/- is required to submit with the application fee.
- The physical application containing required documents should reach DGFT RLA concerned within 15 days of its online submission.
- E-mail is optional. If it is provided it will make communication quicker.
Documents required for iec code:
- Letter on your company’s letter head for issue of new IEC Code Number.
- Two copies of the application in prescribed format. Each individual page of the application has to be signed by the applicant.
- Part 1 & Part 4 has to be filled in by all applicants. In case of applications submitted electronically.
- No hard copies of Part 1 may be submitted. However in cases where applications are submitted otherwise, hard copy of Part 1has to be submitted.
- Only relevant portions of Part 2 need to be filled in.
- Rs 250.00 Bank Receipt (in duplicate)/Demand Draft/EFT details evidencing payment of application covering fee in terms of Appendix 21B.
- Certificate from the Banker of the applicant firm in the format given in Appendix 18A.
- Self certified copy of PAN issuing letter or PAN (Permanent Account Number) Card issued by Income Tax Authority.
- Two copies of passport size photographs of the applicant duly attested by the Banker of the applicant.
- Self addresses envelope with Rs.25/- postal stamp for delivery of IEC certificate by registered post or challan/DD of Rs.100/- for speed post.
Reduction in mandatory documents required for Export and Import
The number of mandatory documents required for exports and imports of goods from/into India have been reduced to three each.
Validity of IEC
An IEC number allotted to an applicant shall be valid for all its branches / divisions / units / factories. IEC is valid for ever and no need to renew the same.
Duplicate copy of the IEC
In case IEC Number is lost by importer or exporter they can obtain a duplicate copy. When an IEC Number is lost or misplaced, the issuing authority may consider requests for grant of a duplicate copy of the IEC in the same format Appendix 18B, based on an affidavit.
Surrender of IEC
In case, an importer or exporter discontinues his importing or exporting business, he can surrender his allotted IEC to the issuing authority. After that, the issuing authority shall immediately cancel the IEC and electronically transmit it to DGFT and Customs authorities.
Application Fee for IEC Code Number
Application Fee: Rs 250.00
Mode of Payment for IEC Code Number
Demand Draft of any Bank or Payment through EFT (Electronic Fund Transfer by Nominated Bank by DGFT Like HDFC Bank, ICICI Bank, State Bank of India, UTI Bank, Punjab National Bank, Central Bank etc) or Application fee can deposited by TR-6 Challan with Duplicate Copy in any branch of Central Bank of India and TR-6 Challan need to be submit along with IEC Code Application. Specified fee shall be paid for making an application under any provision of the Policy and Handbook of Procedure Volume-I.
Profile of Importer/ Exporter
Each Importer/Exporter shall be required to file importer/ exporter profile once with the Regional Authority in Part 1 of ‘Aayaat Niryaat Form – ANF2A’. Regional Authority shall enter the information furnished in Part 1 of ‘Aayaat Niryaat Form ANF-2A’ in their database so as to dispense with the need for asking the repetitive information. In case of any change in the information given in Part 1 of ‘Aayaat Niryaat Form ANF-2A’, importer/exporter shall intimate the same to the Regional Authority.
Self Addressed Stamped Envelope
The applicant shall furnish a self addressed envelope of 40 x 15 cm with postal stamp affixed on the envelope as follows for all documents required to be sent by Speed Post:
Within local area
Up to 200 Kms.
Between 200 to 1000 Kms
Beyond 1000 Kms.
IEC No: Exempted Categories
The following categories of importers or exporters are exempted from obtaining Importer – Exporter Code (IEC) number:
- Importers covered by clause 3 (1) [except sub-clauses (e) and (l)] and exporters covered by clause 3(2) [except sub-clauses (i) and (k)] of the Foreign Trade (Exemption from application of Rules in certain cases) Order, 1993.
- Ministries/Departments of the Central or State Government.
- Persons importing or exporting goods for personal use not connected with trade or manufacture or agriculture.
- Persons importing/exporting goods from/to Nepal provided the CIF value of a single consignment does not exceed Indian Rs.25,000.
- Persons importing/exporting goods from/to Myanmar through Indo-Myanmar border areas provided the CIF value of a single consignment does not exceed Indian Rs.25,000.
However, the exemption from obtaining Importer-Exporter Code (IEC) number shall not be applicable for the export of Special Chemicals, Organisms, Materials, Equipments and Technologies (SCOMET) as listed in Appendix- 3, Schedule 2 of the ITC(HS) except in the case of exports by category(ii) above.
The following permanent IEC numbers shall be used by the categories of importers/ exporters mentioned against them for import/ export purposes.
Categories of Importers / Exporters
All Ministries / Departments of Central Government and agencies wholly or partially owned by them.
All Ministries / Departments of any State Government and agencies wholly or partially owned by them.
Diplomatic personnel, Counselor officers in India and officials of UNO and its specialized agencies.
Indians returning from / going abroad and claiming benefit under Baggage Rules.
Persons / Institutions / Hospitals importing or exporting goods for personnel use, not connected with trade or manufacture or agriculture.
Persons importing / exporting goods from /to Nepal
Persons importing / exporting goods from /to Myanmar through Indo-Myanmar border areas
Importers importing goods for display or use in fairs / exhibitions or similar events under provisions of ATA carnet This IEC number can also be used by importers importing for exhibitions/fairs as per Para 2.29 of HBPv1.
Director, National Blood Group Reference Laboratory, Bombay or their authorized offices.
Individuals / Charitable Institution /Registered NGOs importing goods, which have been exempted from Customs duty under Notification issued by Ministry of Finance for bonafide use by victims affected by natural calamity.
Persons importing / exporting permissible goods as notified from time to time, from / to China through Gunji, Namgaya Shipkila and Nathula ports, subject to value ceilings of single consignment as given in Para 2.8(iv) above.
Non-commercial imports and exports by entities who have been authorized by Reserve Bank of India.
Note: Commercial Public Sector Undertaking (PSU) who has obtained PAN will however be required to obtain Importer Exporter Code number. The permanent IEC number as mentioned above shall be used by non-commercial PSUs.
Issue and Dispatch of IEC Code
IEC allotment letter is dispatched through post at the registered office mentioned by the applicant in the application. In the same way deficiency letters are send by post or if application is through counter assistance system, they are hand delivered
IEC Code Number Related links
DGFT Online IEC Code Number Application Form -ANF-2A
View Your IEC Status : dgft.delhi.nic.in:8100/dgft/IecPrint
IEC Status at Custom(BIN) : http://18.104.22.168/iecstatus.html
Other import export articles
- how to make export import licence in india
- DGFT circular
- DGFT notification
- DGFT offices
- DGFT public notice
- export import
- export documentation
- import documentation
- how to start import export business
- export procedure and documentation
- export Import shipment data
- IEC code
GET VERIFIED LEADS
Trade with India
- productwise export demand
- productwise import demand
- Indian exporters
- Indian importers
- Overseas importers
- Indian company directory
- Product information
- Export products from India
- Products to import
India exported 8462 products from India worth of 3,974.88 INR million in data,
Top Origin ports for exporting 8462 products from India are nhava sheva sea(512,928.76 INR million),bombay sea(502,967.84 INR million),mundra(1,771,757.99 INR million),chennai sea(2,903.36 INR million),mulund(134,356,057.00 INR million),bombay sea(14,268,834.86 INR million),nhava sheva sea(521,866.29 INR million),cochin sea(91,557,385.80 INR million),chennai sea(318,400.04 INR million),kolkata sea(3,024.66 INR million),nhava sheva sea(8,183.22 INR million),bombay sea(169,237.83 INR million),chennai sea(462,838.32 INR million),tughlakabad(22,510.46 INR million),bangalore icd(559,378.30 INR million),nhava sheva sea(1,742,736.34 INR million),bombay sea(14,190,604.09 INR million),chennai sea(14,821.39 INR million),kolkata sea(336,130.73 INR million),mundra(2,382,783.64 INR million),nhava sheva sea(9,060.15 INR million),mundra(10,760,415.39 INR million),chennai sea(668,460.28 INR million),bombay sea(12,206,678.82 INR million),bangalore icd(724,024.40 INR million), in data,
Top Destination ports for importing 8462 products from India are china(10,721.37 INR million),russia(156,637.30 INR million),japan(371,286.12 INR million),italy(5,533,702.70 INR million),korea,republic of(1,318,322.60 INR million),japan(3,649,641.85 INR million),china(234,750.60 INR million),russia(67,865,152.43 INR million),italy(2,522,714.25 INR million),korea,republic of(4,577,602.33 INR million),china(6,986.00 INR million),germany(7,943,417.44 INR million),taiwan(3,364,171.36 INR million),italy(5,173,041.00 INR million),japan(365,714.66 INR million),japan(1,973,641.55 INR million),china(14,524.75 INR million),spain(13,572.77 INR million),italy(15,797.10 INR million),korea,republic of(267,355.52 INR million),italy(16,497,920.85 INR million),china(5,997.00 INR million),japan(562,397.42 INR million),korea,republic of(1,871,364.20 INR million),taiwan(1,673,070.26 INR million), in data,
India export 8462 products 53.27 million on 2016-11-19. Total export shipments reported were 0 during this period. Average Price for this period was 475.09 INR.